Friday 19 February 2016

The Last Miner's Gala in Wakefield, June 1984



I have been rummaging around in the loft looking for all my old photographs from the time of actual film that never made it into albums. I really wanted to find my photographs from the last Miner's Gala in Wakefield in June 1984. All my life there had been Miners' Galas with their bands and speakers in the park. These had always been very happy times. This time I had a camera and these photographs are from a time that has gone. Margaret Thatcher and her government's hatred of the coal miners forced the Miner's Strike of 1984/85  which led to the devastation of an entire industry and its communities. Unity Works, Wakefield is holding the WITH BANNERS HELD HIGH 2016 event which started me off on my search for my photographs of the Gala. Here are some of them:



























No comments:

Post a Comment